No matter how it's packaged...UR VAPE IS AFFECTING YOU.
MYTH vs. FACT
Find out if the statements below are myth or fact.
Vapes have no long-term health risks.MythMany of the long-term side effects of vaping are unknown, and you don't want to be the first to find out. What is known so far is that vaping causes seizures, popcorn lung, strokes, and heart attacks.
Vapes are just as addictive as cigarettes.FactIn fact, they're likely even more addictive. Studies show that people who vape are 2x more nicotine dependent than cigarette smokers.
Vaping won't change me.MythLong-term nicotine use alters your personality over time. 93% of users feel more stressed, depressed, and anxious after starting vaping.
Vaping affects your mood.Fact...but maybe not how you'd think. Vaping offers a short-lived dopamine rush after each hit; however, once it's worn off, you're often left feeling even worse than before.
Vaping can cause popcorn lung.Fact(Which isn’t as fun as it sounds.) This disease lines the lungs with layers of built-up scar tissue for a popcorn-like appearance on the lining, eventually blocking airflow. As of now, there is no cure once it sets in.
It's just water vapor, vapes don't contain nicotine.MythNope, it isn't water vapor; it's an aerosol mist - complete with a laundry list of harmful ingredients and highly concentrated levels of nicotine. Many vapes contain more nicotine than entire packs of cigarettes.
Once you start vaping, it can be tough to stop.
- Vaping can give a great first impression with a false sense of ease. However, this relationship can quickly turn toxic, infiltrating your thoughts the second you leave it behind.
- Before you know it, your freedom may only be measured by the length of time it takes from your last hit to your next.
- Addiction feels different from person to person, but whether it's shaky hands and withdrawal headaches or erratic mood swings when you can't get your fix, the side effects of stopping are often what keep you hooked once you start.
Vaping decreases your athletic performance.
- Some athletes believe that nicotine helps them perform, but whether it's on the field, in the water, or along the track, reality shows that the effects of vaping take a toll on your performance.
- Nicotine can increase blood pressure and heart rate while narrowing the arteries - a dangerous situation when athletes push themselves to the limit.
- Additional side effects like anxiety, shortness of breath, and delayed healing time could cost you wins, scholarships, and countless opportunities in the game.
- In short: vaping clouds your mind and your play.
Vaping takes a toll on your appearance.
- Nicotine acts as a vasoconstrictor, accelerating the aging process by suffocating your skin from the oxygen and nutrients it needs to stay healthy.
- Vaping has been linked to premature wrinkles, sagging, dark circles, skin discoloration, and more.
- Vaping can also cause or worsen existing skin conditions like acne and scarring due to significant dehydration and overproduction of oil.
Vaping affects your mental health.
- Vape users have double the chance of depression and greater anxiety symptoms compared to non-users. Long term depression can lead to permanent personality changes.
- 93% of users feel more stressed, depressed, and anxious after starting vaping.
- Vaping has also been shown to worsen symptoms of depression and anxiety — lengthening depressive episodes, increasing outbursts, and inducing crying spells with added stress.
Let your friends know. Let your kids know.
If you care about them, start the conversation. Talking to loved ones about vaping can be difficult, but here are a few tips to help get you started:
What to Know
Most young users will shut down a lecture about vaping in defense. Try creating an environment where you both feel comfortable, not rushed. Ask open-ended questions and be open to hearing their thoughts.
What to Say
Effective conversations begin with productive questions. Start with: What do you think about vaping? Do you know what the effects of vaping are? Do you know what's in a vape?
What to Do
The vaping industry is constantly changing with new laws (and loopholes). Stay up to date on the latest news and studies so that you can enter a conversation with the facts.
The more you know, the more you can help.
Join the movement to end the vaping epidemic. To get started, check out the resources below.