Prescription Drug Misuse Prevention Tips for Patients
Patients can take steps to ensure that they use prescription medications appropriately by:
- Following the directions as explained on the label or by the pharmacist
- Being aware of potential interactions with other drugs as well as alcohol
- Never stopping or changing a dosing regimen without first discussing it with the doctor
- Never using another person’s prescription and never giving their prescription medications to others
- Safely storing prescription stimulants, sedatives, and opioids
- Properly discarding unused or expired medications by following U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) guidelines or visiting U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration collection sites
Before obtaining any new medications, patients should always inform their health care professional about all the prescriptions, over-the-counter medicines, and dietary and herbal supplements they are taking.
Patients in Connecticut can choose to deny opioid prescriptions by filling out a Voluntary Non-Opioid Directive (VNOD) form and submitting it to their healthcare provider.